Cocaine Possession in Illinois
Cocaine is an illegal narcotic, and the possession of any amount of the drug is illegal throughout the country. In Illinois, the state will vigorously prosecute cocaine possession cases and a conviction can result in serious ramifications involving fines, jail time, and a permanent criminal record that can limit your ability to secure employment, education, and housing for the rest of your life.
If you have been charged with possessing any amount of cocaine, it is essential that you seek skilled legal representation in order to make sure your rights and interests are protected. Call the experienced Champaign cocaine possession attorneys at Bruno Law Offices today at (217) 328-6000 to learn more about your legal option.
Penalties for Possession
Illinois will always prosecute cocaine possession as a felony offense, meaning anyone convicted will likely face a prison sentence as well as serious fines. The following are the penalties for cocaine possession in escalating amounts:
- Anything less than 15 grams is a Class 4 Felony, usually involving a prison sentence of up to a year
- Between 15 and 100 grams will get you 4 to 15 years in prison
- 100 to 400 grams is penalized with 6 to 30 years in prison
- 400 to 900 grams will result in an 8-40 year prison sentence
- Anything over 900 grams constitutes evidence of a large scale distribution network and will result in 10-50 years imprisonment
Fines for convictions usually reflect the street value of the drugs involved, and have a maximum of $200,000.
If you are facing charges of cocaine possession, Bruno Law Offices is here to help you fight these charges. Call today at (217) 328-6000 to discuss the details of your case with an experienced Champaign cocaine possession lawyer.