Champaign DUI Defense Lawyers
A driving under the influence (DUI) charge can follow you for your entire life. If you are facing DUI charges, it is necessary to take action in order to avoid a conviction. The penalties associated with a DUI conviction in Illinois are severe and may include jail time and hefty fines. Do not hesitate to contact our firm for a free consultation as soon as possible. We have helped people all over Champaign and Illinois win dismissals or reduced penalties for their charges.
For over 35 years, Bruno Law Offices has been dedicated to defending the rights of people who are charged with a crime. Far too often, individuals are arrested when the police did not have a search warrant, pulled over when they did nothing wrong, and charged with crimes they did not commit. Criminal charges are serious and potentially damaging, but you can fight them with the help of a Champaign DUI attorney. Call us at (217) 328-6000 or fill out a contact form on our website to learn more about your legal options.
Do I Need a Criminal Defense Attorney?
When you are facing serious criminal charges, a criminal defense attorney is an invaluable investment. A DUI conviction can touch every aspect of your life, including your family, financial stability, and ability to work. A qualified criminal defense attorney can help get your charges reduced or dismissed altogether. In addition, a DUI defense lawyer can aid in the following:
- Negotiations: In criminal defense cases, we often hear about plea deals and alternative sentences. These are options that are best negotiated by a criminal defense lawyer. Even if you are convicted of your charges, a qualified lawyer can seek to lessen the blow of the consequences and help you get your life back on track.
- Building your case: The burden of proving your guilt falls on the prosecution, and a strong defense can make their job more difficult. A DUI lawyer will look through official police reports, arrest records, and other pieces of evidence to build a defense for you.
- Investigators and witnesses: Part of your defense could involve the testimonials of other people. Witnesses to crimes are often hesitant to speak without a lawyer present. A criminal defense attorney creates a comfortable environment for witness testimony. In addition, investigators can help corroborate or dispute witness testimony to boost your case.
- Legal knowledge: Some people figure they can defend themselves after they are charged with a crime just by reading a book or studying law themselves. In reality, the law is often more complicated than people can assume and it is essential to have a professional who can interpret relevant statutes and ordinances for you.
- Objectivity: Your attorneys deal with individuals charged with crimes for a living, so they can offer an objective perspective about your case. Whether you are wondering how your future will look, the odds of your case being dismissed, or whether you could take a plea deal, a knowledgeable criminal defense lawyer has answers to help you.
The choice to hire a criminal defense lawyer is ultimately a personal one, but the benefits of an advocate typically outweigh associated costs. For more information about what a criminal defense lawyer can do for your case, contact (217) 328-6000.
Why Should I Choose Bruno Law Offices?
In Champaign and across Illinois, there are plenty of DUI defense lawyers who would be willing to take your case. It can be difficult to choose which firm or lawyer will be the right fit for you and obtain the results you need in your case. With so much on the line, including your reputation, license, and relationships, you want to be sure you make a good decision about who should represent you. These are a few reasons we think Bruno Law Offices will be a good choice for you:
- Local resources: We have practiced law in the greater Champaign area for decades. As such, we know the system well and have access to resources at the local level that can help you when you need it most. Our firm is prepared to take on complex cases and mobilize our resources whenever necessary.
- Proven results: Our clients include individuals accused of many different accidents and crimes. We have a proven history of getting such cases settled with reduced charges or dismissed completely. Scroll through our results page to learn more about our legal victories.
- “Never too busy”: Past clients describe our lawyers as communicative, fast to respond, and “never too busy”. Whether the case has severe consequences or is relatively small, we make sure to provide you with the answers and peace of mind necessary to move past any guilt, shame, or confusion you may be experiencing.
- Ready for Anything: We have handled cases from drug trafficking conspiracies to death-penalty murder cases. Our firm’s diverse range of work makes us well-equipped to deal with any level of DUI case, regardless of size or scope.
Our family is not interested in fame, recognition, or making a quick buck. Rather, we focus on the potential long-term consequences of a conviction and how drastically it can affect a good person’s life. We are interested in protecting innocent people and helping others to manage crisis situations whenever possible. If you have been charged with a DUI, do not panic. Contact our firm for a free consultation.
Our DUI Practice Areas
Whether you were arrested for underage drunk driving, aggravated DUI, or driving with drugs in your system, your situation can be nerve-wracking and hard to handle. Our Champaign DUI lawyers know how tough it is to face these charges alone. That is why we are able to help clients with the following:
- Drunk Driving: If you are accused of drunk driving, you could face serious charges that are tough to fight on your own. If your blood alcohol concentration (BAC) exceeded the legal limit by a large margin, do not wait to get help for your case. It is possible to get your charges reduced or dismissed before a conviction occurs.
- Felony DUI: When you are convicted of multiple DUI charges or face aggravated DUI charges, your DUI could be classified as a felony. The penalties for felony charges are steeper than those for the typical misdemeanor DUI charges. A felony DUI can result in up to six years of prison time or a fine of up to $10,000, so hire a strong defense.
At Bruno Law Offices, we understand how overwhelming a DUI charge can feel. Especially if you have never faced criminal charges before, the legal process can be frustrating and stressful. Call our attorneys today for help handling your charges.
DUI Frequently Asked Questions
Are breathalyzers accurate?
Not always. Police officers often rely on breathalyzers and trust them to provide an accurate reading of a driver’s blood alcohol concentration. However, breathalyzer inaccuracies happen more often than we think. Sadly, a breathalyzer inaccuracy can have devastating effects on a person’s life. A breathalyzer test is rarely questioned; the results are taken as fact and if the machine determines that a person’s BAC is above the legal limit of .08%, then the individual can face severe consequences. If you were given a breathalyzer test that you believe provided law enforcement with incorrect results, be sure to contact a lawyer. An experienced DUI lawyer will be able to evaluate your case and determine your best legal options.
What are the penalties for a DUI?
The state of Illinois does not take DUI charges lightly, and offenders can face serious consequences. A first time DUI offense is considered a class A misdemeanor and offenders may face up to one year in prison. Additionally, a first time DUI offender will likely have their driver’s license suspended for six months, as an administrative penalty. A DUI conviction can also carry a fine between $500 and $2,5000. The penalties for a DUI will greatly increase for any repeat offenses. To make matters worse, a DUI conviction on your record can make it more difficult to find a job and place a strain on your relationships. The penalties increase if you are charged with multiple DUI offenses. If you are facing DUI charges, be sure to contact an attorney right away for the best chances of reducing or dropping your charges.
What should I do if I’ve been charged with a DUI?
One important step you can take after a DUI arrest is to gather information. The more notes you take about the events leading up to and following your arrest, the easier it will be for your attorney to to create an effective defense strategy for you. Next, you will need to hire an experienced attorney. A tough DUI attorney will be able to walk you through the daunting legal process and provide you with all your best options. To speak with an knowledgeable attorney, contact our offices today by calling (217) 328-6000.
Illinois DUI Statistics
We constantly hear how toxic drunk driving is for our society. The message comes from the media, ad campaigns, government agencies, and our family and friends. As a result, DUI charges are extremely stigmatized and can be shameful to talk about. The DUI defense lawyers at Bruno Law Offices recognize that everyone makes mistakes, and we want to help you recover from your charges. Consider the following statistics, published by the Office of the Illinois Secretary of State:
- 0.08% legal blood alcohol concentration limit
- 32,285 total DUI arrests made in 2015
- 8,959 individuals arrested for DUI were ages 21 to 24 in 2015
- 56% individuals arrested for DUI are under 34
- 91% individuals arrested for DUI, who were eligible, lost driving privileges
- 86% individuals arrested for DUI are first offenders
When we look at the numbers surrounding DUI arrests in Illinois, a concerning picture emerges. Many of the people arrested are young and first offenders. Although our firm does not condone drunk driving, we are aware that even upstanding citizens can make haunting mistakes. Do not allow a DUI conviction to follow you around the rest of your life. Hire a criminal defense lawyer to fight for the reduction of dismissal of your charges.
Contact a Champaign DUI Defense Lawyer
The lawyers at Bruno Law Offices are all too familiar with the devastating effects of a drunk driving conviction. DUI convictions often come with expensive fines, jail time, and a suspension of privileges. Our goal is to get you back on your feet and moving in the right direction as soon as possible. Do not let a DUI charge turn into a life-altering conviction when there is still time to take action. Contact our Champaign offices by calling (217) 328-6000 or filling out a contact information sheet on our website today.